Voiding Dysfunction and LUTS
The lower urinary tract includes the bladder and urethra, which allows for storage and timely expulsion of urine.
LUTS (Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms)can occur during bladder filling (storage), emptying (voiding), post urination or a combination.
- frequent urination,
- frequent nighttime urination
- involuntary loss of urine.
In men, voiding symptoms can be related to obstructive causes, and thus symptoms such as urinary hesitancy, difficulty in emptying bladder or straining, weak stream or urinary dribbling can occur.
In men, common causes of obstructive symptoms include:
- an enlarged prostate possibly caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) (LINK) or prostatitis
- urethral stricture (scar tissue),
- bladder stones or bladder tumors (benign or cancer).
215 Lexington Avenue 20th Floor
New York, New York 10016
Our mission here at University Urology Associates is to render the absolute best in urologic specialty care to our patients through decades of experience, cutting edge technology, and medical research